2 problems with X

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Apr 22 06:41:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 23:21 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 07:58:19PM -0500, biznatch at sctelcom.net wrote:
> > I'm having 2 problems with X in FC2T2.
> > Problem #1
> > Sometimes when I walk away from the computer I come back and X has crashed
> > and returned me to the command line. It only does it when I am logged in.
> > It can sit at the GDM screen for ever without problems. I wonder if it's a
> > problem certain with Xscreensavers.
>
> Yeah. We had this too, severely. Updating to xorg-x11-0.6.6-0.2004_03_30.5
> solved the problem here -- I imagine the even newer packages currently in
> the development tree will too.

I still had this problem with xorg-x11-6.7.0-0.5, however it did subside
when I disabled xscreensaver.  I previously tried disabling dpms, using
a blank screen only, but neither changed the problem.  This was using
'nv', however I did have nvidia drivers installed (so I cannot be
certain it is unrelated).  The problem seems to have stopped now without
any significant system changes (I'm trying to say I believe your
problem, and mine, may be due to strange configurations).

A similar problem (in that I think xscreensaver and dpms are involved)
is a 1/4 - 1/2 second black screen that occurs randomly even when there
is constant input on keyboard and mouse.  These are difficult to track
down.

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net