Replacing Broadcom miniPCI with Atheros

Brian Stretch bstretch at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 23 15:27:03 UTC 2004

Yes, but it only works on 32-bit Linux, as this thread explains:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4103096&forum_id=36471

I want to run 64-bit Fedora Core on my Athlon 64 notebook.

Alan Cox pointed me to where the problem lies (thanks Alan!).  Like IBM,
HP has a whitelist of approved wireless miniPCI cards in their BIOS.  Since
the Atheros card is not on the whitelist and Broadcom's rectal-cranial
inversion shows no sign of correcting, 64-bit Linux users are currently SOL.
I've got one of HP's research techs looking into this but I'm not very
hopeful.  It's too bad, under Windows the wireless range is very impressive
thanks to the two antenna panels integrated behind the screen.  Does
anyone know whether eMachines has a similar whitelist in their Athlon 64
notebooks?  What about ASUS and Acer, etc?