up2date error

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 23 23:09:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:29:43PM -0500, Nick Oliver wrote:

> No, I apparently made an assumption that since this product is still in
> test, that the files would be centered at Redhat.  Bad assumption?
> >
> > Which server? Have you tried a mirror yet?

Not a bad assumption just incomplete.

The number of testers and the net size of package changes is
generating a bandwidth requirement that effectively requires all of us
Fedora folk to use a mirror site.

So how do we inform the world that Fedora depends on mirrors?

Perhaps the default yum and up2date configuration files could have a
empty distribution pointer that has a hint style name. One that points
to an empty yum location.  Perhaps something like this in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

    yum UseMirrorsPlease    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/YumEmptyMirrorReminder

To see what I am thinking, add this line to /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

    yum Please_Use_A_Mirror_Site     http://tenegg.com/YumEmptyUse_A_Mirror

Or add these lines to /etc/yum.conf

    [Use_A_Mirror_Reminder]
    name=Fedora Core Mirror Reminder
    baseurl=http://tenegg.com/YumEmptyUse_A_Mirror

This might seem weak at first.  However, it is a start that is easy to
do and could be effective when backed up with more content in an
index.html file and some google links.... See this simple minded
prototype, no apologies for my lack of bandwidth.

     http://tenegg.com/YumEmptyUse_A_Mirror/index.html

Later,

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l