updatedb failure

Elaine Normandy enormandy at stardel.com
Mon Apr 26 14:24:37 UTC 2004

updatedb seems to be failing on my machine, requiring a hardware reset
to recover.  I checked bugzilla, and no one seems to have reported this
for Fedora Core 2.  I was able to run it manually on April 20.  I
believe it has been failing when run from cron, causing my computer to
seize up when I next tried to use it.  Oddly, I could use it for a few
minutes before the problem became apparent.

I can reproduce the problem every time when running it from the command
line as su.  When run with the -v switch, it seems to be progressing for
a while until it hangs.  I am not quite sure how it should look in top,
but until it hangs, top doesn't show anything too worrisome.  When it
hangs, the load seems to go to 100%, but it is kind of hard to tell at
the point since my system is no longer responding.

If anyone has already logged this in bugzilla, or can think of
additional diagnostics I should include, please let me know.

--
Elaine Normandy (Colorado Springs)
Weblog: http://www.stardel.com/fiveacres/