anaconda eats grub

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 28 06:19:24 UTC 2004

So, I thought I'd try an "upgrade an existing installation" with my new
FC2 TEST 3 CD's since I had a spare RH9 installed system(dual boot with
win xp) sitting around. Pretty straight forward, then after the "point
of no return" the install runs for a while doing things in preparation
for instaling packages and finds that there isn't enough space to do the
  upgrade. So, I click OK on the error message box and I'm back to the
point of no return page of the installer. Then it ctl-alt-del, take the
  CD out so I can try to boot the old install or failing that, the Win
XP but low and behold on the BIOS screen (after the usual mem check) at
the point where it usually show the GRUB menu all it shows is the one
word "GRUB" at the bottom of the screen and nothing else! Can't boot
'cause grub has been eaten by anaconda when doing an "Upgrade" installation.
Don't you think this situation (not enough space for an upgrade) should
be handled a little better? There will probably be many people trying to
"Upgrade" their FC1 to FC2 and a least a few will not realize how much
additional space it will take and run into this problem. So, part of the
question is why is GRUB clobbered in an "Upgrade" install before it
determines if there is enough space?