Downloading the 4GB DVD iso

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 28 23:35:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 02:00, Till wrote:
> On 29/04/04 01:40 ne... Squawked:

> >>You'd think so, but I've never had BitTorrent do
> >>better than 20kb/s on cable, which is painfully
> >>slow :(
> > How long did you leave it running for? Mine started at
> > about 40kb/s and maxed at 140kb/s after a while. I'm on
> > dsl. You also need to make sure your firewall is setup
> > right.
>
> I left it for about 15 minutes at which point it
> was stable on 19-20kb/s.  I have opened port 6881
> on my firewall so it's not that.  I thinks it's
> my provider, we have a limited upload speed of
> 16kb/s. Doesn't BitTorrent work better when you
> can upload faster?

Till, I can concur here (same provider). Bittorrent was *awfully* slow
for this round of isos. I was getting around 1.5kBps after leaving it
for a couple hours. Test2 came down at around 200kBps. I hadn't opened
up any ports, but I also hadn't last time when I was getting decent
speeds. So I cancelled it, chose an Australian mirror and was happiliy
ftp'ing at ~230kBps. :)

Regards,
-Matt

--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.