file fragmentation, torrents, azureus ?!?!?! Sluggish performance?

Phil Nelson PhilTR1 at Sonic.net
Thu Apr 29 01:48:44 UTC 2004

On or about 04/27/2004 11:10 PM PDT, Jay Goodman wrote:

>First part Off Topic:
>

>Just had to step in to kill some FUD...
>

>>A simple "ps agl" yielded the first 'gotcha': java had grown to over 200MB
>>(BEWARE of j2sdk-1_4_2_04.  There must be a memory leak somewhere).
>>

>The mem leak is in azarues software which relies heavily on JNI (code
>outside of java...mainly using the eclipse swt libs).   There is nothing
>wrong with the j2sdk-1_4_2 so there is no reason to BEWARE of java.  :)
>
>I used to use azareus but it is so buggy that it is virtually impossible
>to use on 600MB+ files with crashing or slowing to a crawl with mem
>leaks galore.

Speaking of FUD, I am glad I didn't read the above before I installed
Azureus 2.0.8.4 on a FC1 machine and downloaded the 2GB of FC2 test 3
in less than 3 hours yesterday.

It is a new machine with 512M of RAM and at least 100GB of free disk.

YMMV.

--
Phil Nelson