Adding packages via yum

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Fri Apr 30 13:05:22 UTC 2004

> It also looks like the syntax is wrong in your yum.conf
>
> for example:
>
>   [base]
>  > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
>  >
> baseurl=http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>  >   http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>

> that second url (the one that points to rpmfind should be listed in the
> same way as the first one the name line doesn't really matter should be
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl= http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>
> you definitely need the baseurl= for each entry you can't just have the
> url there.

I'm probably just misreading your message, but only use ONE baseurl=
per server section. List other urls on the following line(s).

>From $man yum.conf

baseurl
	must be a url to the directory where the yum repository’s 	’headers’
directory lives.  Can be an http://, ftp:// or 	file://url.  You can
specify multiple urls in one baseurl 	statement. The best way to do this
is like this:

              [serverid]
              name=Some name for this server
              baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
                      url://server2/path/to/repository/
                      url://server3/path/to/repository/

        If you list more than one baseurl= statement in a repository you
        will  find  yum  will  ignore  the earlier ones and probably act
        bizarrely. Don’t do this, you’ve been warned.