FC2T2 - can't login as normal user - home directory does not exist message (wrong)

J. Scott Farrow jsfarrow at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 00:29:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 08:27, Santiago Erquicia wrote:

> I have the same problem.  I also have some errors due to selinux.
>
> At the selinux mailing list they recommended me:
> "
> have you tried setfiles /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts /home
> "
>
> I haven't yet, but you should ;-)

I had a similar problem due to my doing a clean install, but preserving
my /home filesystem.  I made a new user to match the old one, tried to
log in, and gdm promptly tells me that my home directory did not exist.
A simple ls told me that it did, and I had to poke around at this for a
while before recalling the whole security context issue.  A quick check
of /var/log/messages revealed the issue - no security contexts set on
the /home filesystem.

I ran the suggested 'fixfiles relabel' from the release notes, and this
fixed the problem.  It did, however, require a reboot as X11 no longer
started due to some other context issue.  Smooth sailing after the
reboot.

- J. Scott Farrow