vesa driver or updated kernel

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Thu Apr 1 00:42:58 UTC 2004

Parrish M Myers wrote:
> I'm not sure which it is... but since I have updated to the new
> versions of the 2.6 kernel, the vesa driver is verry flakey!  As
> soon as I logout the screen goes black, and all I can do is reboot.

I can confirm the same behavior.  Blank console (although the monitor
sync rate reports that the text mode *has* been set correctly) under
the vesa driver on a Geforce 5700 Ultra.  The behavior was the same
under both the XFree and xorg X servers.

The NVidia drivers work fine, although they require a kernel recompile
as the nvidia module won't work with CONFIG_4KSTACKS.

Andy