Test 2 summary for Thinkpad 600

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Thu Apr 1 01:13:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:36, Alan Cox wrote:
> - system-config-mouse: translations appear stale, checking
> - system-config-packages: translations missing. As with many system-*
>   apps still has awful refresh handling problems. (#119618)
> - system-config-printer: translations missing (#119619)
> - system-config-proc: thinks its called sysctlcfg, weird fonts, weird ui
>   and full of broken English like "Ripped of powertweak" [Powertweak btw
>  is a trademark] (#119621)
> - system-config-services: some translations missing, investigating
> - system-config-services: spews errors (#119624)
> - system-config-services: missing glade file (#119622)
> - system-config-services: help button does not work (#119623)
> - system-config-time: deprecation warning as per config-date
> - system-config-users: translation missing (#119626)
> - system-logviewer: prints an error on startup (#119627)

Personally I don't use those sorts of tools much except for a few
specific tasks.

Maybe RH should (half serious) just adopt and adapt (now GPLd) YaST.
Comparatively speaking, YaST is treated like a first class citizen by
the developers.

IMO, newbies will find YaST more consistent, less buggy, and have
broader coverage of system admin tasks than the system-config tools.

Just an observation by a long time RH administrator who has recently had
to come up to speed on the competition.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs