vesa driver or updated kernel

Dan Goodes fedora-list at planetmirror.com
Thu Apr 1 01:13:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 at 16:37, Parrish M Myers wrote:

> I'm not sure which it is... but since I have updated to the new
> versions of the 2.6 kernel, the vesa driver is verry flakey!  As soon
> as I logout the screen goes black, and all I can do is reboot.  It also
> happens when I try to change to a console via ctrl-alt-1.  Has anyone
> else experienced this?
>
> for help, I have an ATI Radeon IGP 320M on a hp pavilion ze4315us.

For what it's worth, I experience identical problems on my Compaq Presario
2133AC (with the same video adapter), whenever I try to do anything that
runs OpenGL stuff (such as screensavers, or glxinfo/glxgears). I haven't
tried what happens when one logs out, but I'll give it a go soon.

I believe that the radeon driver that comes with x11-org recognises the
IGP230M, and assumes it can do 3D, which it can't (yet). I haven't tried
the latest rawhide stuff yet either, but I hope to try that later today as
well.

Cheers,
Dan