FC mirror update.

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 1 04:15:52 UTC 2004

> My logs show that I have not been able to use rsync for the last week. I'm
> also aware of the earlier notice that public rsync access may be withdrawn
> at any time.  As far as I could tell, that's what happened.

For the last week the WORLD has been syncing data from us to get fedora
core 2 test 2 out and ready for all the mirrors that connect to us.

In the last week I throttled the number of external rsync connections
down to bring the load down on the machine

The notice about public rsync potentially going away has been there for
greater than 2 yrs. It's there as a general disclaimer.

> It's not the end of the world.  So, you can't support rsync access.

It's amazing, I just connected via rsync from my system at home on cable
modem and I can connect just fine, right now. no problem.

Makes me wonder if the brokenness isn't just you.

>  That's
> fine, but I've also wasted a lot of MY time trying to chase down working
> mirrors, over the last couple of months; and I think that when you maintain
> a list of publicly accessible mirrors that it would certainly be COURTEOUS
> for that to contain an actual list of functioning mirrors.

Guess what, our mirror does function, and if you had asked us about it
we could have told you that, instead you decided to be a jerk and
complain about it in public. What a shame.

Do you know what's been going on with the mirrors? do you know why
they've been out of sync and problematic? Let's see:

- rawhide did a complete roll 3 weeks ago - so we had a change up of
~30GB of data.
- red hat moved some of their systems to a new colo in phoenix - lots of
busy-ness with that
- rhm1 the primary mirror for the I2 folks was in a less-than-useful
state for a while and caused the mirrors on I2 to have a hard time
getting data. Most of the mirrors ending in .edu are I2.
- ~8 trillion people have decided that updating, nightly, to rawhide is
fun and party-like causing more of a load than normal on all mirrors.

-sv