i810 X Crashing FC2T2

Josh Hayden josh at hayden.ws
Thu Apr 1 05:07:01 UTC 2004

I've been having an issue with X crashing. It's happened twice when I've
not been around my computer, logged into GNOME. I come back and X is
gone. It appears to be in mode CTRL-ALT-F7, because the screen is just
blank. I can switch to CTRL-ALT-F1, kill the X process, and gdm restarts
it as usual. I looked in /var/log/XFree86.0.log and towards the end, it
has the following three lines repeated 95+ times:
-------------------------
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 108000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1328 hend: 1440 httl: 1688
              vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1066 flags: 5
-------------------------

After that in the log is this:

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please
send the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xorg at freedesktop.org.

Hardware:
Processor: 1 GHz P3
Video: i810 - 16 MB