SELinux and compatibility

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 17:08:39 UTC 2004

Erez Hadad wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to test FC2T2, but I'm troubled by the issue of application
>compatibilty being possibly harmed by the SElinux integration: what level of
>compatibility does FC2T2 have with standard (non-SE)Linux? more precisely:
>1. Can I install binary RPMs out-of-the-box?

Yes,  The current policy is setup to allow most applications to run out
of the box.  It would
be better to get security context written for the applications to make
them more secure.

>2. Can I replace the kernel with a standard version without having existing
>applications fail?

No, but if the kernel does not have SELinux support the apps will run in
non selinux mode and you
will loose file contexts. So if you later run with an SELinux kernel you
will need to relabel.

>3. Are there any driver compatibility issues? (binary level)
>(I the above questions I assume that source-code level compatibilty is
>complete - please correct me if I'm wrong..)

No,  There should not be.