system-config-display

Albert Wold alwold at asu.edu
Thu Apr 1 18:40:42 UTC 2004

I have a brand new system with an 865 video card (I think) and a Dell 19" flat panel.  When I installed, I don't remember seeing a section to configure X.  When I booted, it tried to start X several times and gave up.  After some digging, I found the system-config-display program and ran it.  It says this:

* ddcprobe returned bogus values:
ID: None
Name: None
HorizSync: None
VertSync: None

Trying with card: Intel 865
Error, cannot start X server.

So, apparently it doesn't work with this display.  I also tried XFree86 -configure which gives me an error saying "unable to locate/open config file: "/root/XF86Config.new"".  For now, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternate way to manually configure it.  I see that there is no xf86config command, which is what I used last time I had to do a manual X config.

-Al