Cipe?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Apr 1 20:00:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:38, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2004, Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> wrote:

> I suppose it wouldn't hurt if people sufficiently motivated would take
> over the cipe package that was removed from rawhide just before
> FC2test2 and build programs and kernel modules as Extras for FC2.  I'm
> told the main hurdle that had to be overcome, namely porting cipe to
> kernel 2.6, has already been taken care of upstream.

So far, I seem to be the only 'motivated' participant in this thread.
So I guess I have a few questions:

1. Is there anyone else here who would be interested in a cipe
implementation from fedora.us?  Or would I be doing it mainly for
myself?

2. Would it just be a matter of maintaining the module(s) as an rpm
throughout the FC2 life cycle.  i.e. I would not have to mess with the
rest of the kernel?

3. Would someone like me, who has never maintained an rpm package be
likely to succeed at this and have it accepted at fedora.us?  The 2.6
fedora kernel is not nearly so heavily patched as the old 2.4 kernel
was, so if someone has already come up with a cipe kernel patch, this
should mainly be a matter of packaging and maintenance on my part,
right?

Thanks,
Steve