C2T2 -- X from older RedHat install, external WWW access

Darryl Gamble darryl.gamble at intellon.com
Thu Apr 1 21:02:00 UTC 2004

I've just installed Fedora C2T2 and it is working quite well for most
things.

I have two issues that have me stumped.

1.  Trying to start an xterm on fedora_test from an old RedHat 7.2
installation.   I get the message:
"xterm Xt error: Can't open display <fedora_test>:0"
Is this an X authentication error related to having older versions
writing to Xauth?   Is there an easy fix for it?
BTW When I ssh to the same machine and do an xterm through DISPLAY
<redhat_72>:10.0 it works properly.

2.  Access to external web sites fails.   Web sites on the same subnet
work alright and I am able to ping external web site names.
 However telnet's to port 80 or mozilla web access fails with a timeout
(either by name or bu IP address).
Interestingly I was working fine under C2T1 *until* I upgraded my kernel
through up2date from the 2.6.1 release to the 2.6.3 release (the default
kernel in C2T2).  (BTW I have set selinux=disabled for these tests and
disabled the firewall).
What should I look at in the kernel that might be causing this issue?
(an IPv6 vs IPv4 problem?)
I am currently using kernel 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1 and can not get external
access.  Can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
Darryl