LVM problems in FC2 test 2

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 1 22:51:35 UTC 2004

LVM did improve from FC2 test 1 to test 2, but I'm still having
serious problems with it upon boot:

The system was kickstarted and the partitions were built from
scratch (not reused), the relevant ks.cfg entries are:

clearpart --all --initlabel
part pv.01 --fstype ext3 --size 10241 --grow
volgroup largespace pv.01
logvol /tmp --vgname largespace --size 2048 --name tmp

/ is in a normal partition (not LVM), as is /boot and /var

The box is a dual opteron, and all this is for the x86_64
version.

Anaconda worked flawlessly. During the first reboot I got
problems finding / (yes, the root filesystem), getting a
nice kernel panic. After some hacking around, I found that for
some reason the LVM space was an ext3 filesystem also labeled
"/" as was the / partition, and so the kernel argument
"root=LABEL=/" was failing due to duplicate / entries.

I booted in single user mode and changed the label of the LVM
space to /LVM, however it still fails on the fsck, because the
devices don't exist (/dev/largespace/tmp) in the example above.
Using the command lvm in it's various incantations shows me that
the LVM groups and partitions are actually there, and correct.

As with test 1 I'm not sure which package is responsible for
this bug (initscripts?, dev?, kernel?) please some one tell me
or report it to the appropiate place.

I disabled selinux.

Carlos