Mounting drives

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 16:47:10 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

>1. Why can only the root mount the floppy drive?

afair if you do not change the fstab by your own this was/is the default.
 - in gnome you can simple click on the floppy-icon, all is ok
 - or add the device-mounter-applet (my own bad translation ) under add
applet - utilities
 - lost in gnome 2.6  ?  right click on the desktop / devices / floppy
,  was a really nice feature

other possibilities:
- mount-option user
eg.
$ grep user /etc/fstab
/dev/hdb1               /data1                  auto    auto,user       0 0
/dev/hdb2               /data2                  auto    auto,user       0 0
/dev/hdb3               /data3                  auto    auto,user       0 0
/dev/hdb4               /data4                  auto    auto,user       0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/sda1               auto    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/sda3               /mnt/sda3               auto    noauto,user     0 0

all this devices could be used with the right-click on the desktop - devices

- /dev/fd*   gid = floppy
throw your user into this group. afair, this user can mount this devices
from the console
works similiar with gid=disk  /dev/hd* /dev/sd* , ...

>2. What has happened to apm? It worked under FC1, but now the system
>complains that apm isn't in the kernel.

i do not know,
i have installed both packages,
apmd, acpid

>3. Anything requiring the root password to be entered (and not in a
>taskwindow, but one of those boxes asking for the root password) takes
>the root password and does nothing. If I open a taskwindow, su then run
>any of the system-* programs, everything is fine.

i had to disable selinux
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/selinux-faq-en/

# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
SELINUX=disabled

>4. Sound is shot (SiS PCI audio accelerator - snd-trident module).

have you tried system-config-soundcard ?
unfortunately the volume is zero after reboot,
you can store/restore the volume with ... (forgotten) alsctl --help
try alsamixer

--
shrek-m