No bootloader -- 2.6.4-1.303.i386 is it me?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Apr 3 01:39:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 07:25 +0800, Chris Kloiber wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 07:11, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 00:06, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > > As reported in another thread appending  vdso=0 to the boot line
> > > boots the kernel (thanks to  Dave Jones).
> >
> > What is curious is why this works for some folks, and not for others.
> > we've not had enough data to see a pattern yet. We'd hoped that we
> > could make vdso=1 the default, but obviously there's something not
> > quite right.
> >
> > 	Dave
>
> What is vdso=0 anyway?

Bit me too.  The "vdso=0" has me running 303 on an Athlon now.  Glad to
see a Red Hat guy is puzzled also.

Google is NOT my friend on this - best I can find is that a vDSO is a
virtual DSO, has something to do with CPU features, and that the kernel
hackers have been talking about randomizing it, and trade-offs of
efficiency with security vulnerabilities quite a lot as of late.  Please
enlighten us mere mortals.

Phil