FC2T2 amd64 installation report

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 3 14:26:23 UTC 2004

I have FC2T2 running on my brand new amd64.  There were some problems:

1) Did not recognize my GeForce 5900XT.  I got crappy text-based
installation.  This had a second effect.  Text-based install doesn't allow
me to setup LVM!  You can make select physical lvm partitions, but you
cannot select to set them up as a LVM.  This is not true of the graphical
installer.

Workaround- put GeForce 5700 in the machine and did the install.  Then swap
GeForce 5900xt.  Just works.

2) Did not setup dos boot in grub, even though I had an NTFS partition.  Had
to fix grub.conf manually.

3) Pretty much unusable gui until I turned off unneeded services, FreeWnn,
llim, canna.  I'm guessing it was probably llim that did it, but I'm not
going back to try again.

4) Only boots sometimes.  Other times I get DMA timeout on ide1.  I'm using
SATA on promise controllers.

5) Where can I find amd64 yum????  Probably a new kernel would fix #4.