up2date issue with kernel-2.6.4-1.305

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 18:45:04 UTC 2004

We all know up2date is broken, but I'm continuing to poke it with a stick. I'd
like to mention something I didn't notice before. When installing
kernel-2.6.4-1.305 through up2date (come to think of it, I did notice this with
kernel-2.6.4-1.303 but just thought it was a bug with the progress bar), the
progress bar didn't completely go across on the kernel package but it acted
like it was finished. That might be significant, since perhaps the progress bar
is working right, and up2date just isn't fully installing the rpm. Perhaps its
skipping the final steps?

[root at localhost boberb]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1
kernel-doc-2.6.4-1.305
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.126
kernel-source-2.6.4-1.305
kernel-2.6.4-1.303

So I'll use yum, but last time this happened, it fried my operating system and
I had to reinstall. I'm kinda hoping it will again, in a sense, so I know its
reproducible. Anyway, I'll reply to this saying what happened.

Also, notice that up2date totally overwrote the previous versions of the
kernels with the new ones. It seems like up2date is using rpm -Uvh, not rpm
-ivh. This is a bad idea from what I've heard.

I'd also like to report that for some reason, I didn't need the vdso=0 option
for kernel-2.6.4-1.303

I hope this information helps.