up2date issue with kernel-2.6.4-1.305

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sat Apr 3 20:50:32 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 14:20, Brian Bober wrote:
> > I had to reinstall. I'm kinda hoping it will again, in a sense, so I know
> > its reproducible. Anyway, I'll reply to this saying what happened.
>
> Worked fine. It seems that the issue with .303 was simply up2date
> overwriting aspects of the 2.6.3 kernel, yet not fully installing 2.6.4.
> When I followed it up with yum install kernel this time, all was OK.
>
> From my experience, I suggest not using up2date with the kernel -- at least
> until the issues it seems to have are fixed. Use "yum install kernel"
> instead. In fact, I can't even get up2date working with the other packages,
> but maybe you can. Regardless, even if you can get it to work with the
> other stuff, I wouldn't play with up2date for installing the kernel unless
> you are feeling brave. If you do, check with rpm -qa and if you don't see
> the new kernel there, then do it again with yum or else you'll be sorry
> when you reboot.

Right now the up2date situation is still in the process of being fixed (so I
have been told) but it will likely be at least a couple more days before
everything is fixed.  So for now I would recommend running up2date with
"setenforce 0" so that policy stuff does not get in the way.  After updating,
you can run "setenforce 1" to turn it back on.
--
Gene