FC2T2 amd64 installation report

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sat Apr 3 23:22:28 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 18:02, Neal Becker wrote:
> Gene C. wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 April 2004 17:29, Neal Becker wrote:
> >> download.fedora.us has
> >> fedora/fedora/1.91/i386/RPMS.updates
> >> fedora/fedora/1.91/i386/RPMS.stable
> >>
> >> Where are the equivalents for amd64?  All I can find at redhat and all
> >> the mirrors is development/, which is rawhide.
> >
> > Oh, you mean extras.  Well, there are also the SRPMS.  You do what I do
> > (right
>
> [...]
>
> Thanks for the info.  Yes, I do want extras too, but I also want redhat's
> updates.  My understanding is that download.fedora.us/...RPMS.updates was
> the official fedora updates.  I think this is supposed to be relatively
> safe to use, while rawhide is less stable.  I've been using the
> RPMS.updates pretty much since fedora started.  But I can't find the
> equivalent for amd64.  Does it not exist?

Not currently.  Multi platforms (especially i386 and x86_64) will be supported
by the Fedora Extras infrastructure when it exists/is made available but,
right now, fedora.us is i386 only.

Having been playing with this since Justin made the first x86_64 stuff
available for FC1 has proven interesting.  Except for the most simple
packages, trying to install 32 bit version is a real trial because of
dependencies.  And then there are 64 bit packages ... which you need to roll
yourself ... which sometimes work and sometimes do not.

I suggest you check the archived of this mailing list, the
fedora-devel-list at redhat.com and amd64-list at redhat.com.  I have put some
interesting messages out about getting stuff working on FCn x86_64 that might
prove helpful to you.
--
Gene