RPM broken

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 06:19:22 UTC 2004

Martin Alderson wrote on Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:15:14 +0100

> After a reboot it seems to have fixed itself. Hopefully it was just a
> one off bug of some sort and won't occur again.
This has been around since I have used Redhat 7. Probably a locked process. It
happens periodically. Doing the trick I mentioned but was shown better by the
other guy will make it so you don't need to reboot. Sometimes, rebooting won't
even do the trick, and you'll have to do it.

> Also, is it common for up2date to just lock up? It seems to for me very
> much so I just use the up2date applet thing and launch synaptic to
> update. What are other people's views on this
up2date locks for me, too.

If synaptic works, use it. I haven't given it a run yet on Fedora. A little
trick I have is to run up2date, note the names of the packages, then grab them
through yum. You can use wildcards, for instance gnome*

There probably is a better way. I don't know it. I haven't been able to
retrieve either apt-get or synaptic through yum. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.