Mount and tune2fs disagree

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sun Apr 4 12:47:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 02:38:39PM +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Thank you. Mounting as ext3 was sufficient. I would have done this had
> the default mount failed. It didn't dawn on me that mount could
> legitimately mount the file system "wrong". Does some advantage accrue
> to a fs layout that permits this "error"?

Advantage? No, I don't think so. Had you created any files on the FAT
partition, you'd probably corrupt the ext3 one.

The problem is that the mount command had no way to know that, although
the partition was successfully mounted as vfat, it shouldn't be.

What seems to be an error, in my old RedHat 7.3 (I haven't tried yet
on my Fedora box), is that the order of filesystem types in
/etc/filesystems has no effect on whether a test image mounts as vfat or
ext2 (always vfat).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha