Dual boot FC2T2 and WinXP?

Lutz Heinrichs lutz.heinrichs at netzero.net
Sun Apr 4 15:49:53 UTC 2004

Vincent wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 17:39, Matias Feliciano wrote:
>

>>$ man bootparam
>>   The 'hd=cyls,heads,sects[,wpcom[,irq]]' options
>>       These options are used to specify the physical geometry  of  the  disk.
>>       Only  the  first  three  values are required. The cylinder/head/sectors
>>       values will be those used by fdisk.  The write precompensation value is
>>       ignored  for  IDE  disks.  The IRQ value specified will be the IRQ used
>>       for the interface that the drive resides on, and is not really a  drive
>>       specific parameter.
>>  [...]
>>   The 'hd=noprobe' option
>>       Do not probe for this drive. For example,
>>
>>              hdb=noprobe hdb=1166,7,17
>>
>>       would  disable  the probe, but still specify the drive geometry so that
>>       it would be registered as a valid block device, and hence usable.
>>

>>I don't know if this is useful but hope it's help. Try to set the same
>>values as the BIOS.
>>

>Thanks but I cannot pull those numbers from the BIOS.
>
>Under IDE devices it has a few things
>LBA mode: supported
>Block mode: 16 sectors
>LBA/Large: [AUTO]
>DMA: [AUTO]
>etc.
>
>But when I use F8 to get a somewhat verbose output i see it says
>LBA is disabled for hda but hdb (linux) has it enabled. I'm just
>plain confused. I'll install FC 1 tonight and pray it catches the
>right values.

I have a similar issue on my system. I'm trying to install FC2 test2
X86_64 on my new Athlon64 box. I have two HDs:
Primary master on first IDE: Maxtor 120GB
Primary slave on first IDE: Quantum 30GB

The system will only offer the 30GB drive for partitioning. That's fine
because I want to install there, but I need a boot loader on the 120GB
drive so I can dual-boot WinXP and FC2. When FC2 installs GRUB, it only
can put it on 'hdb' which is the 30GB. 'hda' is not an option.

I have set LBA to 'ON' for both drives, no change.
I have tried "linux hda=noprobe hda=5883,16,255,0" to give the kernel
the geometry, no change.

I also tried installing GRUB on hdb, then extracting the boot block with
'dd' into a file and referencing the file in WinXPs boot loader. If I
boot that entry, the screen reads "GRUB" and the system hangs (does not
continue boot process).

FWIW, this is a NFORCE3-150 board. Is there a known issue with the
NVIDIA controller?
Any other ideas?

Lutz