boot floppies??

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Apr 5 02:00:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 21:39 -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:12:31PM -0500, Damian Menscher wrote:
> > I usually do my installs over the network after booting from a floppy.
> > FC2t2 doesn't include floppy boot images.  Perhaps this is an oversight?
> > (I'd really rather not go through the effort of burning a CD.)
>
> The kernel won't fit on floppies anymore.  You can extract the vmlinuz
> and initrd from the isolinux directory and hand install them in /boot.
> Or you can just burn the images/boot.iso (4-5 MB) and boot from that.

An earlier post gives more detail on this for test1 - same approach has
worked several times since, including for NFS ahd hard disk test2
installs:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-February/msg00445.html

> > Also, the release notes make mention of 3 binary CDs and 3 source CDs.
> > I just downloaded the binary torrent, and it's on 4 CDs.  Is this going
> > to be made to fit on 3 CDs before the final release, or do the release
> > notes need to be updated?
>
> The release notes may well be wrong, it's 4 cd's each.

RELEASE-NOTES-en doesn't seem to address the number of CDs.  README-en
still (incorrectly) describes 3 binary and 3 source CDs.

Phil
\