FC2T2 - Install - Individual Package Selection.

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Apr 5 08:42:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:18:57AM -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> Eddie F said:
> >
> > Surely it will come back one
> > day!
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath.  Check the archives.  The current thinking
> (which makes sense to me anyway) is to move functions out of the installer
> (where they are only used once) into post-install programs (where they can
> be used more often).
>
> --
> William Hooper

Yes, it makes sence. One thing though: the anaconda installed can
install from various sources, local cd or dvd, hard disk image, nfs,
ftp. But after install you have system-config-packages, which seems to
know only about cds. So if you did an install over nfs or any of the
other methods, you cannot add packages from the same source.

I guess it should be possible to tell system-config-packages to use
up2date or yum to install packages in stead of a cdrom.

Another thing I was thinking about: I have now 2 copies of the contents
of the FC2test2 rpms on disk. One as a copy of the cdroms, to be used
for nfs installs, and one as a local yum repository I set up for
upgrades. I cannot find out an easy way to merge those, since they have
a different directory structure. No big problem, hard disk space is
cheap and available. So what I was thinking: will it be possible to use
yum as an installation method?

David Jansen