segfault inside chroot

Fawad Halim fawad at fawad.net
Mon Apr 5 15:14:45 UTC 2004

Hi,
    I have a chrooted directory that I've been developing stuff on quite
a while on fedora core 1. Over the weekend I upgraded to FC2 test1. Now,
when I chroot into that directory, most commands cause a segfault and
the chroot closes. For example, running ls dumps the directory, but then
the segfault kills the chroot. Running the chroot under strace gives the
following lines (I've trimmed everything up to the lines that printed ls
output

rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD TSTP TTIN TTOU], [HUP INT ILL TRAP ABRT
BUS FPE USR1 SEGV USR2 PIPE ALRM TERM CHLD XCPU XFSZ VTALRM SYS], 8) = 0
ioctl(255, TIOCSPGRP, [27033])          = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [HUP INT ILL TRAP ABRT BUS FPE USR1 SEGV
USR2 PIPE ALRM TERM CHLD XCPU XFSZ VTALRM SYS], NULL, 8) = 0
setpgid(0, 27033)                       = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {SIG_DFL}, {0x8085d00, [HUP INT ILL TRAP ABRT BUS
FPE USR1 SEGV USR2 PIPE ALRM TERM XCPU XFSZ VTALRM SYS], 0}, 8) = 0
getpid()                                = 27034
kill(27034, SIGSEGV)                    = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Do you guys any idea why the segfault is happening? I've tried disabling
exec shield and SELinux is started in permissive mode.

Regards
-fawad