First Thoughts on FC2T2 on Thinkpad T40 and Sound issues

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 5 18:58:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 pjain001 at covad.net wrote:

> Everything worked like a charm with two exceptions:
> 1) No USB devices were being recognized.  I had to manually edit and load
> the USB driver in /etc/modprobe.conf.dist.  After that, no problems.
> 2) I'm running FC2T2 on a Thinkpad T40 and I can't get sound to work for
> the life of me.  I try to manually load the i810 sound driver ( I think
> it's snd-intel8x0 under FC2T2 ) but it can't be found.  Can anyone confirm
> whether I'll have to rebuild the kernel to get the driver?

My installation is an upgrade from FC1 and following rawhide -
(currently with kernel-2.64-1.305). I believe sound & USB were
configured correctly by kudzu for me on the T40

$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 e1000
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

After boot - I crank up the volume with gnome-volume-control
(volume,pcm) - and I can play mp3 files.

I had tried an external usb device earlier last week with
kernel-2.6.4-1.300.  I was able to connect to a usb drive enclosure
with a dvd-rw drive in it.

However there are mails in this list about usb problems with
kernel-2.64-1.305

Satish