Please turn SELinux off by default

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Apr 6 00:07:23 UTC 2004

Brian Bober wrote:
> I also thought about an issue of issues if its turned on for testers,
> then they update to the final release packages, and its turned off in
> that, if that could cause compatibility issues.

For all the problems associated with SELinux that need to be addressed,
I highly doubt making sure an update from a test release to fc2 goes
smoothly is even on the map. I want to point out that update from a test
release to a full release is always going to have a high potential for
some rather interesting gotchas. If default settings have to be changed
or a few packages downgraded in the full release to make sure people
upgrading from fc1 have a good experience, there is no
garuntee...none...that the change in settings can be easily handled by
test release installs. Upgrading from a test release to a full release
is not something anyone should expect to go smoothly. If it
does...great...but its not expected to. And considering the scale of the
problems regarding SELinux I really think every tester currently running
test2 should expect to have to do a fresh install of the full release
when it comes available.  I'm certainly going to attempt an upgrade from
test to full release just to see how things break..but i FULLY expect it
to break and break badly.

-jef"test releases eat babies"spaleta