Debugging Assistance(KUDZU)

sean bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Tue Apr 6 05:44:47 UTC 2004

I just installed (and patched!) Fedora Core 2 Test 2...Quite a bit of
hassle to get it in, but not bad for Beta...

Anyway, they are running a 2.6.4 kernel variant(as always "enhanced" by
RedHat).

I can compile and build the driver objects with the following steps:

1.  Install Kernel Source RPM
2.  Copy /usr/src/linux-2.6.4-1.305/configs/kernel-2.6.4-i686.config
/usr/src/linux-2.6.4-1.305/.config
3.  CVS checkout madwifi drivers.
4.  Build madwifi drivers with "sudo make"  Something needed that root
can only access.
5   Install the madwifi drivers with "sudo make install"

Now is where the fun begins...Fedora Core 1 worked great at this point
with the 2.4 kernel that they are using.

I reboot after step 5 and it appears that "kudzu" spins out of control
and never finishes...I need kudzu for some reason, because my USB mouse
never works without it running at startup.

The machine doesn't lock up, but it does not progress any further that
the "detecting new hardware" stage of the RedHat boot process.

I did not configure the /etc/modprobe.conf to alias ath0 the first time.

After rebooting and selecting "I" for interactive startup, I skipped
kudzu and allowed the system to boot normally.

The madwifi drivers come up and negotiate to the WAP just fine.  However
my USB mouse doesn't work without kudzu running(sheesh!).

So, I CTRL-ALT-F1 when the system is at the login screen, login as root
and run kudzu manually.

The system initializes the USB system(BTW no USB devices are detected at
all without the startup of kudzu) and my mouse starts working.

Kudzu runs...very slowly and intermittently...and it detects the Atheros
Chipset based 802.11g card.  Since I have already configured it, I have
skipped it for now.

This is a two-list post...Looking for a bit of help here...