latest policy and sound

J. Scott Amort jsamort at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 6 06:39:42 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Running with SELinux enabled and the latest policy (1.9.2-10), I can't
play any sound as a regular user.  However, all works fine as root.
Running aplay, I get:

aplay: main:502: audio open error: Permission denied

and, similarly, with alsamixer,

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Permission denied

This certainly appears to be SELinux related, as booting with
selinux=permissive allows sound to play as expected.  Also, all worked
well under the previous policy (1.9.2-9).  I'm not sure what file(s) or
what permission(s) need to be changed.  Could anyone point me in the
right direction?  Thanks.

Scott