Fwd: No-Boot on CD .. FC2t2

Ric Letson digitalcontrol at myrealbox.com
Tue Apr 6 08:01:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 13:48, spdemon6 at optonline.net wrote:
> here is what i have been trying to solve [im up to try network install] but heres the history ive tried [floppies, FC1 CD boots, FC2t1 boot, boot CD, etc...]

The problem of not being able to boot from a Fedora Core 2 Test 1 cd
would be the first problem that I would look at. Is the cd-rom that made
the cd significantly newer than the cd-rom your attempting to install
from?

I know that the disc1 image from the following link boots, I used it
about an hour ago to reinstall a game server. Try reburning that
particular image with software that will reliably burn bootable cds
(such as cdrecord on linux, hdiutil on macosx, nero on windows, etc)

ftp://redhat.secsup.org:/pub/linux/redhat/fedora/core/test/1.90/i386/iso/

If that image does come up to the 'boot:' menu insert the Fedora Core 2
Test 2 cd and press return. If the kernel loads but does not continue
into a text based installer prompting you for a language then...

It is entirely possible that the fedora kernel installed on the boot
media does not have the modules necessary for your particular ide
chipset.

Does the kernel detect your ide chipset correctly as it is loading?
An example of a detected and supported ide chipset kernel echo would be:

## begin example
NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
## end example

Does it locate the hard drive correctly?
An example of a detected drive kernel echo would be:

## begin example
hdd: WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1, ATA DISK drive
hdd: max request size: 128KiB
hdd: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63,
UDMA(100)
## end example

If it detects your ide chipset and detects a hard disk then it should
theoretically be able to detect your cd-rom, mount it as root and start
the installer.

Inserting the first installation cd from FC2 Test1 until you get to the
'boot:' line, swapping cds to the first installation disk of FC2 Test2
and pressing enter should boot the system. (If of course you have made
the proper sacrifices to $DEITY and are standing on your head while
inserting the cd).

--
Ric Letson, NB2E
digitalcontrol at myrealbox.com