SpamAssassin

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Tue Apr 6 13:51:08 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 03:25, Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 02:22, Colin Charles wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 05:28, Paul wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me if it's back to a usable speed or was it
> > > more an Ev/SA problem?
> >
> > It's a SA problem - it works on mail individually and when
> > Evolution calls it, it acts on your incoming mail pile, one
> > message at a time. This is why CPU usage also skyrockets
> > --
> > Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
> > http://www.bytebot.net/
>
> Same experience here. Even with Evo 1.4.x SA is dead slow up to a
> point were it is no longer acceptable. Makes you wonder why
> something like DSPAM
> (http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/) was not included
> in the distro. It's written in C, runs at the server level instead
> of user level (unless you want it to), seems quite a bit faster
> than SA and iirc is found to be better at filtering SPAM than SA.
>
> Time for a change?
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

Recently on the fedora-list someone using evolution noted that using
the -L switch:

-L, --local
   Perform only local tests on all mail.  In other words, skip DNS and
   other network tests.  Works the same as the "-L" flag to spamassas-
   sin(1).

provides a substantial increase in speed.

Regards,  Mike Klinke