/sbin/ldconfig problem

J. Scott Amort jsamort at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 6 17:17:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-04 at 11:54 +0100, PFJ wrote:

> I've installed a number of rpms (wxGTK, lcms etc). When I run
> /sbin/ldconfig as su, I keep getting errors such as
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: Input file /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1.0.12 not found.

I've noticed this as well with a few rpms I have installed.  The problem
seems to be a labelling issue.  Most libraries have security attributes
as follows:

system_u:object_r:lib_t

or

system_u:object_r:shlib_t

However, when I manually install an rpm (i.e. using apt, or just rpm
-Uvh), it sets things up with:

root:object_r:lib_t

or

root:object_r:shlib_t

This then leads to the behaviour described above when running ldconfig.
You can relabel the library with:

chcon -u system_u [library]

and then recreate the symlinks.  Or, to make sure everything is fixed,
run:

fixfiles relabel

but that will take some time, as seems to be a bit of overkill.  I'm not
sure how to get the correct user info on initial library install, but I
hope this helps!

Best,
Scott