up2date (was Yum and exactarch=1)

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 6 19:24:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:11:20PM +0200, Matias Feliciano wrote:
> Le mar 06/04/2004 à 20:49, Michael Stenner a écrit :
> > If don't want to use exactarch, then you don't have to.  Yum will
> > still only use architectures that are appropriate for your system.
> > It's not like it's going to put a ppc binary on your system :)
>
> I said that up2date have the behavior of "exactarch=1" yum option.
>
> Until now, for me, "exactarch=1" does not permit the installation of an
> i686 on an i486 system or does not permit arch "upgrade" (i368 -> i686).

Yes.  It sounds like you want exactarch=0.  So, I suggest you use
exactarch=0  :)

> I think it reasonable to permit update that "downgrade" the arch.

Many people would not want that behavior.  Especially since it result
in a significant deviation from the current behavior.

Sure, there could be a whole bunch of fine-grained exactarch
"policies", but one of the two existing modes (on/off) usually works
flawlessly for the vast majority of people, and when it does "fail",
you can usually work around the issue trivially.  Therefore, it would
probably do more harm than good to include a bunch of fine-grained
policies.
					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G