can't ftp, telnet, or ssh to FC2T2 box

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 7 03:57:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:51:57PM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
[snip]
> > It seems as though the bug from FC1 was that selecting no firewall
> > resulted in firewall --enabled in the anaconda kickstart config. However
> > with FC2test2 the result is  firewall --disabled in kickstart config-
> > yet the firewall is enabled. So I think this is a different bug and this
> > should get filed.
>
> Sounds like a new release and new bug.

If you watch the init during boot, you will see that if ntp is selected to
load, it will load iptables to punch a hole on port 123 so ntp will
work... regardless of your wish not to install a firewall at install.

One may argue til your blue in the face with the maintainers on this topic but it follows their recent history of dumbing down the installer to be as newbie-friendly as possible - at great risk of hiding the details from everybody. After all, those who can hack their way around iptables can just do a "iptables -L -v -n" and find out which port is open, no? No, I'm not bitter.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca