no 3D support in xorg-x11 packages - fact or fiction?

Richard Gardner noeffort at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 06:52:09 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'll been lurking on irc, I've trolled <err, bad choice of words...> toiled!
through exhaustive searches via Google, this fedora-test-list maillist,
searched on bugzilla, and have only found about two not so concrete
references to Mike Harris stating that:

3D support is not available in xorg-x11 or XFree86 4.4.x.. via this one
reference:

> > It also should work with xorg-x11 2D only.
> >
> > 3D support is not included in xorg-x11 nor in XFree86 4.4.0.
> >

> > --
> > Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
> > OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat

Mike Harris... can you confirm this?

Granted it is a luxury to watch ol' Tuxy slide on his belly, but something I
liked was decent 3D screensavers in KDE (yea! Euphoria3D!)

Can we expect support for 3D to be forthcoming in FC2 1.91? FC3? at all?

It's no biggie, I can live with 2D, just wondering cuz I do like to tune my
ATI Radeon 8500DV to 'be all it can be' when I'm bored with writing LDAP
scripts... and believe me,... that can get boring!

hehe =)

Any help appreciated...  Regards, Noe =p

** I noticed references to the split in agpgart kernel loading, and tried to
get intel_agp and agpgart to load via modprobe (successfully) and then
modprobe'd radeon - all in runlevel 3, all work fine.  All messages nomimal,
no puking, only problem, no DRI, and glxinfo says Direct Rendering: No
This is despite seeing the messages in /var/log/XFree86.0.log saying it
actually DID load DRI/DRM; dmesg says R200 microcode loaded and AGP enabled
to 4x, so i dont get it... /shrug... its like its there, but ist not...

I would be more than happy to be your test dummy, if there is anything I can
do.  I became fairly adroit with config'ing XFree86 with 8.0/9.0 even 2.1AS
and 3.0AS at work, I could always overcome the problem with enough reading of
Google and hacking of conf files, so if there is anything I can do to help
(selfishly enabling my 3D at home by side result...) then I am your guinea
pig!

Specs:  cropped for brevity

/proc/cpuinfo -
[root at fedora root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2411.967
cache size      : 512 KB

/proc/meminfo
[root at fedora root]# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1034816 kB
MemFree:        262004 kB
Buffers:         52196 kB
Cached:         558356 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         523660 kB
Inactive:       172092 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB

dmesg
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel i875 Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe8000000
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 0
agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
[drm] Loading R200 Microcode

glxinfo
[root at fedora root]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:

I'll respond back with XF86Config and /var/log/XFree86.0.log if requested
(too long)