Kernel source

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Wed Apr 7 23:35:30 UTC 2004

Tall Paul wrote:
> I have noticed that some of the more recent kernel-source packages
> have not been pre-compiled, where some in the past have been
> pre-compiled.  I am using VMWare and I need to update the VMWare
> configuration against the latest kernel.  The latest kernel-source
> packages don't seem to have things pre-compiled.  Is there a reason
> for this?

The compiled version of this package is called "kernel".  I'm pretty
sure it's part of the base distribution. :)

My guess is you're looking for a .config file?  You can find them (one
for each kernel variant) in the /usr/src/linux-2.6.whatever/configs
directory.  Copy one to .config in the source directory and do a "make
oldconfig".

Andy