Spatial Nautilus or windows training

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Apr 8 00:45:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 18:47, Colin Charles wrote:

> > I'm curious, was spatial just someone's neat idea or is it backed up by
> > some sort of usability study, or commonly accepted UI principles?
>
> Plenty of usability studies. Read desktop-devel-list at gnome archives, or
> even usability at gnome. Many websites out there have links to stating why
> its useful, its not only the OS X feature... Ars Technica had a writeup
> that did bear a lot of influence on the GNOME team though

Could you point me to a specific thread?  Searching desktop-devel-list
and usability archives for "spatial" only serves to indicate that there
was very little discussion and that most of the commentary about opening
folders in their own windows was negative.  I saw no mentions of any
usability studies at all.

As to being a nice player, if the nautilus guys jump off a bridge, I see
no reason that Fedora necessarily needs to follow.  Spatial still looks
like a UI disaster to me.  I hope I'm wrong.

-Steve