Easy WORKAROUND for CDROM Boot Image insanity

John Dee antitux at antitux.net
Thu Apr 8 19:37:05 UTC 2004

I've got a fun way to do it.

It requires a working installation of linux though.
I don't have a cdrom on my linux box.

download boot.iso
mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop boot.iso /mnt/iso
cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-fedora-install
cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-fedora-install.img
cat >> /boot/grub/grub.conf <<EOF
title Fedora Install
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-fedora-install ramdisk_size=8192
initrd /boot/initrd-fedora-install.img
EOF

Change drive info as necessary to reflect your drive.

You should have on reboot an option for "Fedora Install" in your grub
menu. Just select that, and should take you right into the install :)