VMware 4.x and FC2T2 - no X - X worked for FC2T1

Thu Apr 8 20:55:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 15:39, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 02:30, Jeremy A. Rosengren wrote:
> > Jim Cornette wrote:
> > >snip<
> > >

> > The reason X under VMware doesn't work in FC2T2 is because the
> > vmware-config-tools.pl setup script hasn't been modified to search for
> > Xorg -- it still attempts to look for the XFree86 version and ends up
> > failing because XFree86 isn't there.
> >
> > There's a line in the script (which I don't have in front of me or I'd
> > paste the text) that searches for the XFree86 version or returns 0.0.0.
> >   If you change the 0.0.0 to 4.4.0, then /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl
> > script will complete.
>
> Will try that hack on my VM (and see if it breaks X ;^) - thanks.

Well, sure enough it broke X.  Installed vmware tools, implemented your
hack to /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl, and
installed in runlevel 1 permissive mode.  Rebooted the VM and FC2T2 went
into a loop of trying to start X repeatedly, then offering to show
output of log files, running config, and failing again.  After switching
to a virtual console at one of the pause points, logging in as root, and
doing "telinit 3", a bit of sleuthing (inspecting /etc/X11/XF86Config
and /etc/sysconfig/mouse) showed that the /dev/mouse link required by
XF86Config was missing.  Doing "ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse", and
"telinit 5" I finally got a gdm login screen.

The vmware-toolbox seems to be working, at least as far as the GUI
toolbox window, and the automatic freeing of the mouse when attempting
to leave the window.  No more "ctrl-alt-shift" nonsense.

Thanks,
Phil