GIMP with the new fileselector

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Fri Apr 9 09:23:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 08:00, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 04:41, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> > There are patches on GIMP with the new file selector, and I was
> > wondering what are the chances that Fedora ships with the patch.
> let's wait until they are upstream. I don't think this is an important
> issue, in order to have someone at redhat spend time on it.
>
> Better work on ooo 1.1.1 or something else.

This will not make it upstream because the GIMP people target GTK+ 2.0
features. The new file selector would impose GTK2.4 on them, which they
are unwilling to do. Its not like other apps are not hacked. Fedora Core
2 will ship with GTK+ 2.4 so that will not be a problem for Fedora users
at all. The reason to target GTK+ 2.4 for the gimp guys is because there
are people still using Redhat 8 for example, so it would not be fair or
good to use features in the latest and greatest GTK. Its a matter of
using a patch that is applied when you make the rpm packages only.