thousands of selinux messages logged (selinux disabled!)

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Fri Apr 9 12:49:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 08:02, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm running with selinux=disabled, but syslog is filling with thousands of
> messages, like:
>
> Apr  4 11:43:59 localhost kernel: security_context_to_sid: called before
> initial
>  load_policy on unknown context system_u:object_r:default_t

The /etc/sysconfig/selinux disabled setting isn't identical to booting
with selinux=0; the disabled setting just causes /sbin/init to leave
SELinux in permissive mode and not load a policy, whereas booting with
selinux=0 prevents SELinux from even registering as a kernel security
module at boot time.

Offhand, I would guess that something is running setfiles, and setfiles
is attempting to check all of the contexts in the file_contexts
specification.  We can certainly modify setfiles to immediately abort if
is_selinux_enabled() < 1, but I'm not sure why setfiles is being
automatically run on your system.  Do you see it running in your process
table?  What's the parent process?

A workaround for you would be to boot with selinux=0.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency