"Features to test" list and documentation on proper testing and diagnosis of issues

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 19:17:16 UTC 2004

I think it'd be good if developers described what was changed, enabled, removed
in every test release and major package (i.e. kernel) so that when guys like me
are bored, we can just sit there fiddling around with what was changed to see
if we find any problems. You mentioned testing SELinux, but there are other
things you could ask us to test. Also what would be useful information on how
to diagnose problems and how to test it.

For instance, let's say in test3 IEEE1394 is enabled, you could go:

IEEE1394 is enabled. Please test the following:
- Adding devices, removing devices. Make sure its detected on hotplug and
bootup. To hotplug, you'll need to... blah blah
- Using a firewire hard drive - Do some test writes of large (>1GB files) and
then read it back and do an MD5SUM of both and see if they match. Do some tests
of small reads, also, such as copying a directory and then doing an MD5SUM of
all files in the directory. The best way to do that might be to [info on how to
do it efficiently]
- Try burning to a CD blah blah

Quality testing cannot be done by developers beyond a certain point. To really
iron out the obscure bugs, we need a lot of testing, and to provide
documentation on diagnosing issues and testing techniques to use with Fedora
would help testers give test reports that are informative enough so developers
could easily track down the issues.