missing modversion.h when trying to compile the nvidia driver on x86_64

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Apr 10 09:47:53 UTC 2004

I downloaded the nvidia AMD64 graphics driver and tried to install. The
installation program complained about missing a matching precompiled
kernel interface and tried to compile it. I received the following error
message:

    '/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.31577/build/include/linux/modversion.h'
    does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the
    kernel header files in ' ....  ' have not been configured.

Unfortunately I don't know how to proceed here. I don't even know if it
is a fedora specific packaging problem or if nvidia isn't kernel 2.6
ready.

Any help appreciated.

Peter