Sound check on first boot ...will never work if ALSA is muted!

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Sun Apr 11 06:24:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 13:37, Andy Ross wrote:
> Jerone Young wrote:
> > The problem here is that we are now using ALSA and everything is
> > muted by default. [...] Things like this drive Mr. Average user or
> > even new comers to Linux crazy.
>
> Agreed.  This misfeature has been in ALSA for years.  Now that it's
> the default sound system in the mainline kernel, there's simply no
> excuse for it anymore.  Surely it's not too much to ask that software,
> by default, work correctly?
>
> Andy

The rub there is that the people who write ALSA believe this is the
correct behavior, so in effect ALSA is working correctly by default.
What we need is a patch to redhat-config-soundcard to unmute sound by
default, and save it that way. Then you need to convince someone that
the patch needs applying.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCX
Red Hat, Inc.